Wednesday, May 4, 2011

90000 new citizens likely to vote PAP: NUS sociologist


According to figures from the Home Affairs Ministry, nearly 90,000 foreigners became new citizens between 2006 and last year with the electoral rolls being updated twice in a year to add them to the electorate.

New citizens are likely to vote for the PAP because they already ‘bought’ the PAP and its policies when they took up citizenship.

“When they converted their citizenship, that’s their vote already,” said Associate Professor Straughan, a sociologist from NUS.

Though there are no figures available for the exact number of new citizens voting in the coming polls on 7 May, they are likely to be more than 100,000 which may prove crucial in closely fought contests like those in Aljunied and Holland-Bukit Timah GRC. In the British election held last year, more than 80 percent of the immigrants voted for the incumbent Labor Party.

The PAP regime has been mass-importing foreigners into Singapore since 2006 and converting them into Singapore PRs and citizens in a desperate attempt to shore up their support base.

‘Talents’ from all trades such as cleaners, construction workers, bus drivers, beauticians, masseurs and even prostitutes are granted Singapore PR and citizenship by the PAP in a record short time without a mandatory minimal period of residency as imposed in other countries. (read here)

Many of these new citizens have benefitted from the PAP’s ultra-liberal and pro-foreigner policies such as YPAP leader and new citizen from India Sinha Shekhar who subletted his resale HDB flat for rental income while living in a condominium. (read here.)

The PAP has been roping in the immigrants into grassroots organizations which are ‘breeding grounds’ for PAP activists. A Straits Times report in July last year revealed that new citizens and PRs now constitute 20 percent of the grassroots leaders in Singapore. (read here)

Foreigners now make up 43 percent of Singapore’s population. Of the remaining 57 percent who are citizens, an increasing number are born overseas. With PAP de facto leader Lee Kuan Yew promising to import another 900,000 foreign workers into Singapore, it’s only a matter of time before Singaporeans become a minority in their own country.

The coming election may be the last window of opportunity for Singaporeans to reclaim ownership of their own nation after which their voices and votes will be diluted by the relentless influx of foreigners that they will have little influence in subsequent elections with the increasing number of new citizens voting to keep the PAP in power forever.

[Related: my post New citizens boost PAP votes by 2.1% here]

No comments: