Tung Ling currently offers nothing more extensive than 3-month and 5-month courses. Kong Hee could have taken such a course full-time in 1985 (but not 1983-86, as reported) after his National Service, and before enrolling at NUS.
Curiously, Kong Hee has omitted his Tung Ling connection in his résumé and biography. This Christian Post report is the only place where the connection is mentioned.
Canon James Wong is the founder and President of Festival of Praise, an annual Christian concert. He announced the cancellation of the 2012 Festival of Praise due to Kong Hee and other CHC leaders being charged with criminal breach of trust, misappropriation of church funds, and falsification of accounts. (source)
Christian Post, Jan 16, 2009 (source)
|Kong Hee is fabulously wealthy, to the glory of God|
|Canon James Wong|
Rev Dr Kong Hee's (ed. Kong Hee's doctorate is most probably form a diploma mill, see here) testimonial was part of Tung Ling Bible College's (ed. correct name is Tung Ling Bible School) 30th Anniversary celebrations last year in which the Bible school recounted the faithfulness and goodness of God over the years since its establishment back in 1978.
In the school's newly launched website, Kong, who studied in Tung Ling Bible College from 1983 to 1986 and contributed a message in his capacity as an alumni member, wrote that it was the first Spirit-filled (ed Charismatic) Bible school he attended and "much of my theological foundation was laid then through the ministries of teachers such as Dr Paul Tan, Rev Percy Campbell and Rev Dr Canon James Wong."
"The in-depth study of God's Word impacted me and brought about a deep love for truth," he wrote. "I enjoyed thoroughly and benefited greatly from the hours of teachings, discussions and friendly debates with the lecturers. Paul Tan inspired me to live by Scriptural revelation, Percy Campbell excited me about full-time ministry, and Canon Wong gave me my first opportunity to serve in pastoral and church-planting work.
"The teachings of Tung Ling in those days were so life-transforming and I started to teach whatever I had learned to small Bible study groups among the youths. Those groups eventually grew into the 24,000-member City Harvest Church, with its 41 branch churches and Bible schools in the region today," he stated. "Many of those Christian values are also conveyed weekly through our Christian TV show, Harvest Time, to more than 640 million viewers across Asia."
Besides impacting him as a church-planter and pastor, the seminary's Charismatic doctrines, inspirational lecturers, and exciting practical training also drove Kong to establish the City Harvest School of Theology (CHSOT; see below for an assessment of its quality) in 1994 as a result of wanting to duplicate my ministry formative days in Tung Ling. SOT has graduated more than 2,500 students from 29 different nations since its inception.
"Tung Ling was a major model that we ought to emulate when we first structured our curriculum," he noted.
"The steps of the righteous are ordered by the Lord. As I reminisce on this 30th anniversary of Tung Ling Bible College, I am ever grateful for this great institution. In the realm of the Spirit, it nourished me in the finest of wheat while [it] made me hungrier for more at the same time. In the realm of ministry, it fired up my imagination to go after God's vision and dream for my life," he said.
According to pioneer Rev Canon Dr James Wong, Tung Ling Bible College is the first inter-denominational Charismatic seminary in Southeast Asia. Board Chairman Elder Goh Ewe Kheng noted that the school has trained more than 4,000 students from more than 40 nations over the past 30 years through its various courses.
- Lecturers Tan Ye Peng (Deputy Senior Pastor, CHC; charged in court) and Aries Zulkarnain (Executive Pastor, CHC) hold Diploma of Theology as their highest theological qualification. It is unclear who awarded their diplomas, but City Harvest Bible Training Centre (predecessor of CHSOT) is the most likely outfit. If so, their diplomas are worthless in establishing the quality of CHSOT.
- Mike Connell, a practitioner of the Benny Hinn (unscrupulous scoundrel and swindler) style of anointing ("I wave, shout, or push, and you fall back"), and senior pastor of Bay City Outreach Centre, New Zealand, provides no theological credential online.
- The only lecturer with decent theological training is Bobby Chaw Ngin, mission director of CHC, who only very recently (May 2011) earned a Master of Divinity (first theological degree, identical to Bachelor of Divinity, in TTC) from the well regarded Trinity Theological College (TTC) in Singapore (source1, source2).
- Chaw holds a Diploma in Theological Studies from Oral Roberts University (founded by another master charlatan, Oral Roberts) via the former City Harvest Bible Training Center (source). I would dismiss any Oral Roberts University diploma as a death certificate of the holder's critical faculty.
- Chaw's theological education is at best equivalent to that of a typical mainline Protestant (Anglican, Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran) pastor/minister.
Dear Festival of Praise fans:
It is with the heaviest of hearts that the Committee announces that Festival of Praise (FOP) 2012 has been canceled.
Rev. Kong Hee of City Harvest Church is the Executive Director of the Festival of Praise, as he has been for the last few years. As the Singapore Indoor Stadium is not available for rental this year, the City Harvest Church has generously offered their auditorium at Suntec Singapore for FOP2012, as well as the support of the staff and members in hospitality, ushering and security matters relating to the Festival.
However, as you might know, Rev. Kong and City Harvest Church are currently undergoing a challenging period.
In view of this situation, the Committee has decided not to go ahead with this year's Festival. We ask you to keep Rev. Kong Hee and City Harvest Church in prayer—they have faithfully served and supported the Festival of Praise for many years, so let us unite and support our brothers and sisters in Christ in this time of need.
CANON JAMES WONG
Founder & President, Festival of Praise Fellowship